Attention mission groups and volunteers - Camp Penuel has summer service projects
We offer youth groups of high school age kids the opportunity to come to camp for a week during the summer. They help in a construction project as well as in working with the children at camp.
Here are some of the details about how a typical work group is set up. We can make changes as needed.
Sunday – arrive at camp
Monday-Thursday – work 9-11:30 am & 1-4:00 pm
Friday – sightsee in the area on your own
Saturday – travel home
Meals: We will furnish meals beginning monday at noon through friday breakfast
Housing: We have two log cabins, each sleeping 8 people, for work groups to stay in. They are right next to our large pool that has newly remodeled rest rooms and showers. There is also an air-conditioned building next to your cabins that is available for devotional time. You will need to bring tents if you have more than 16 people in your group.
Donations: All of our workgroups are self supporting and provide the money for their food and construction supplies for the week. We ask for a donation of somewhere between $150 and $200 from each person in your group. This covers meals and materials for the construction projects you are doing.
Tools and supplies: We will have materials on hand for the projects you are doing. Each member of your group should have a pair of work gloves and a pair of sturdy shoes to work in (not sandals or open-toe shoes).
We also ask that each person in the group purchase a hand tool or garden tool as a donation to camp and bring it with them. Items that would be useful are: hammers, tape measures, 2-3” paint brushes, rakes, shovels, picks, large pruning shears, work gloves and other tools.
Meals: 8:00 12:00 5:00
Work time: 9:00-11:30 and 1:00-4:00
Adult supervision: We will help coordinate all the work projects you are working on. We will divide into a few smaller work crews. Any construction skill that your adults may have is very helpful. We usually recommend that you have one adult for every 5-6 teens. You will need to supervise your teens during their stay at camp.
Ministry to camp kids: I like to give the teens in the work group an opportunity to work with our inner city children while here. We usually try to rotate the teens to help with arts and crafts, hikes, sports, boat supervision and kitchen. If you want to take part in chapel services with puppet skits, drama, or song, that is great.
If you need more information, please give me a call. If you want to reserve a week next summer, we need to do it as soon as possible. A list of projects follows:
CAMP PENUEL CURRENT PROJECTS
We are working on a number of projects during the summer. Donations and volunteers will determine how far each of the projects are when you come.
1. NATURE TRAIL: We are building and expanding our nature trail. We need to do trail construction after we clear the area.
2. GROUNDS: We always need a crew to help maintain our grounds with trimming and clearing areas.
3. PICNIC AREA: We are upgrading our picnic area and need to build a small deck, lights, benches and paving stones.
4. CLEARING: We have some lakefront ground that we are cleaning up and cutting grass.
5. CABINS: We are building cabins for our workgroups to stay in while at camp. This will eliminate the need for tent camping.
6. PRAISE MOUNTAIN: We are clearing and building a trail to a lookout site over Lake Killarney. We will build a small outdoor chapel for travelers to stop at and worship.
7. ROADS AND BRIDGES: Set forms and pour concrete.
We hope that you will be able to come.
David W. Stuehmeyer
CAMP PENUEL TOOLS NEEDED
LAWN AND GARDEN:
NAILS AND SCREWS: